No really. It’s true – a sexless marriage can be hazardous to your health. Right now you might be thinking, “Great. One more reason to feel guilty about my non-existent sex life. Besides, I really don’t have the time, energy or desire for sex these days with everything I have going on.”
Well, I assure you that guilt is not the intention! Believe me ladies; I have been in your shoes so long I had to have them re-soled! But in developing After Nine Tonight I have learned a tremendous amount about myself, my partner, our relationship and the benefits of an active sex life. Hopefully, with a little knowledge and just a little bit of effort, we can eliminate the phrase Sexless Marriage from our collective vocabulary!
“Doctors and researchers have concluded that sexual activity positively affects so many systems, organs and bodily functions that it almost seems negligent not to try and find time”
Besides the fact that sex can be enjoyable, there are also a surprising number of benefits to your mind, body, and soul to motivate just about anyone to improve upon their sexless marriage – or low sex marriage. Doctors and researchers have concluded that sexual activity positively affects so many systems, organs and bodily functions that it almost seems negligent not to try and find time for such a beneficial (and free) activity! For example, it has been shown that sex:
- Improves Sleep – Orgasm results in a surge of the hormone oxytocin and endorphins that can have a sedative affect. The hormone prolactin also higher during sleep is released during an orgasm.
- Reduce Anxiety – Low levels of oxytocin are correlated to higher incidences of anxiety disorders. Orgasm provides a surge of oxytocin.
- Healthier, Glowing Skin – DHEA (dehydroepiandrostone) helps to produce healthier skin and estrogen has been shown to promote softer skin and shinny hair. Studies have shown people that have sex frequently can look up to 7 years younger than less-sexed peers.
- Lighter Periods / Less Cramps – endorphin and corticosteroids releases during sex have been shown to reduce menstrual cramps and also result in muscular relaxation. Also uterine contractions can rid the body of cramp causing compounds and expel blood and tissue more quickly.
- Prostate Health – multiple studies have shown that higher frequency of ejaculation has been correlated to decreased risk of prostate cancer and prostatitis (prostate inflammation).
- Enhance Relationship – Oxytocin stimulates feelings of affection, intimacy and closeness with a partner. Studies have also shown that expression of sexual desires is a basic ingredient in pair-bonding.
- Strengthen Pelvic Floor – orgasms contract the pelvic floor muscles providing a great workout.
- Boost Libido – having sex increases blood flow, lubrication and elasticity, all of which can make sex feel better, resulting in increased desire. Testosterone also boosts sex drive in both men and women.
- Improves Heart Health – orgasm releases DHEA which has been shown to reduce risk of heart attack. Also low sex individuals have twice as many incidences of fatal coronary events than do people who had more frequent intercourse.
And that is not ALL. We have posted another article with 9 additional known benefits of an active sex life. Between the two pieces and this video about sexless marriage we hope to provide you with a little extra motivation to set aside a little time After Nine Tonight to improve your health and relationship. Good Luck!